Can't Find What You Need?

Have a Suggestion?

Browse by Category

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Tell Me

A tax reform bill (H.R.1, or the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act) was signed into law on Dec. 22, 2017. Many of the provisions are effective for the 2018 tax year. While the bill affects many aspects of tax law, these Tax Reform FAQ pages highlight a few changes that may impact UNC Charlotte employees. The Tax Office cannot provide tax advice regarding individual tax return questions or filings.

  1. Yes; all moving expense reimbursements/allowances are taxable as of January 1, 2018. 
  2. Reference the Moving Expense Procedures for detailed information on how to process these requests.  


    Oct. 2018: The Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) changed its policy on moving expenses earlier this year. This change impacts the moving expense procedures put in place in March. Changes to the moving procedures will be effective Jan. 2, 2019.

  3. Moving expense support paid to UNC Charlotte employees will be included on their Form W-2.

  4. Payments directly to vendors for employee moving expenses (e.g., to moving companies through 49er Mart or via a purchasing card) are no longer allowed to be made, effective Jan. 1, 2018.

Related FAQs

Page viewed times