There are several possible scenarios that may result in the need to reset an assignment that has applied grades due to a late policy:
- Faculty turned on Late Policies and checked "Automatically apply grade for missing submissions" with a grade of 0 for "grade percentage for missing submissions".
- For some assignments, the faculty wanted to change the due dates but forgot to do so, hence the late policy was applied, giving all 75 students a grade of 0.
- Faculty would like to "reset" the assignment grades to show a dash, but unchecking the Late Policies does not change the grade.
The below steps should be taken to reset the individual assignments to show a "dash" instead of 0 grade.
- Open the desired course and go to Grades, in the left menu
- In the top right corner, click the gear icon
- Select the Late Policies tab, uncheck Automatically apply grade for missing submissions
- Click the triple dot on the right of the desired assignment column
- Click Set Default Grade
- Type excused in the box (the value 'excused' and 'EX' are not the same) and check the option Overwrite already-entered grades option (if a student was manually graded, do not check this box)
- Click Set Default Grade button
- The grades will be replaced by dashes
- Go to the assignment and edit it to add a new due date
- Save the assignment
- Repeat steps 1 - 3 above, but click the checkbox to turn on Automatically apply grade for missing submissions
Note that turning off the Late Policy for "Automatically apply grade for missing submissions"will NOT change any previously entered grades.