By default, videos in Kaltura cannot be downloaded by users. If you want someone to be able to download your videos, follow the directions below. Note that videos that are closed captions will be downloaded without captions. The captions can be downloaded separately as a text file.
- Access your course in Canvas
- Either create or upload your video to My Media
- To the right of a particular video you want to make downloadable, click the Edit (pencil icon) button
- Select the Downloads tab
- Select the Available formats checkbox of the download
- Mobile: For tablet or Smartphone
- HD: High Definition version of the video
- Source: Source video file
- Click Save
- In the course navigation, click the Media Gallery link
- Click Add media
- Scroll to find the video you just updated and select the checkbox to the left of the video
- Scroll up the top of the page and click Publish
- You see a message All media was published successfully. The video is added to your published selections
- When students click your video in the Media Gallery, a Details drop down is displayed. Click the Details drop down
- A Download option will now be displayed. Click on Download
When students click Download, the area expands to display the options you chose. Students need to click the Download icon to download the video
If you do not see any options for download, go back to Step 5 and select all options available. You should always be able to download the Source video.
- The captions for the video will not be part of the downloaded video
- To get the captions as a text file, click Download
- Choose Attachments
- Under the Actions column, click the download icon to download the caption text file
The Download option is only available to students in the Media Gallery. While you can still add your video to a specific area of the course, if you want students to be able to download it you need to include that information in the description. Alternately, you can add a course link that takes them directly to the Media Gallery. If the video was closed captioned, the captions will not appear on the video.